Alternative searches for :
Done searching. If you still do not find what you are looking for, please read the other information at the bottom of this page |
Genus or Species
|Please check in the lists below if you find the name you were looking for.|
If you do not find the name you are looking for both through the simple and advanced match:
If the name is not included in the lists, verify:
If you are sure that you are looking for a fish (lamprey, hagfish, shark, ray, chimaera, finfish), please try to query:
- that you have entered a scientific name (Genus and/or Species);
- the spelling you entered (take care of 'h', 'y' and 'i', double letters, etc.), especially in the first 3 and 3 last letters;
If you are not sure that you are looking for a fish, or use "fish" in a broader meaning (e.g., jellyfish, starfish, etc.), please try to query:
- the Catalog of Fishes (CofF) by Bill Eschmeyer at the California Academy of Science;
- FishWise by Dennis Polack in South Africa based on CofF but with different querying facilities;
- Welt der Fische / World of Fishes, Page Scientific News: New taxa by Michal Mikšik and Erwin Schraml in Germany who gather all new fish taxa — including species in particular - described during the last four years (see at the bottom of the page for previous years); just search in the page with your browser.
- the Annual Checklist of the Catalogue of Life (CoL) for any group;
- SeaLifeBase and WoRMS for marine organisms;
- ITIS, mainly for North America but not only.
- AlgaeBase for seaweeds and seagrasses;
If the fish species you are looking for is not yet in FishBase, please provide name and source so we can follow up.
cfm script by eagbayani
, 11.03.03 ,
php script by mortiz, 05/20/10 ,
last modified by caldemita, 10:20 AM 01/15/13